Saturday, December 3, 2011

Goth Icon: Klaus Nomi

Of all those Goth before there was Goth, opera singer Klaus Nomi has to be king or god emperor or supreme buffoon. A walking doll, he was born to be cartoonified.

Source: wikipedia

One time pastry chef turned retro-futurist intergalactic tragicomic trickster imp, Klaus Nomi out-glammed the gods of glam. A twisted jester, an Elizabethan freak, Nomi came to our planet like an alien to redeem us. Outrageous and touching at the same time.

I can pile on the descriptions but I can never say it better than it's said here.

And to finish, here are the words of Henry Purcell's 'Cold Song'. One of Nomi's best-known performances. Beautiful and bone-chilling and heart-breaking:

I can scarcely move or draw my breath.
Let me, let me, let me freeze again to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment